Monday, October 31, 2011

Why it's Important to Become a Child Advocate...

By: Tracy McDaniel, IUPUI Student Social Worker

I decided to become a Child Advocate in May of 2011. I was looking for a volunteer position that I could work with children and hopefully make a difference along the way. When I started my training, I didn't realize how many children didn't have an advocate. In Marion county alone their is a 500 child waiting list, which is not including surrounding counties.

Can you imagine not having a voice? It's hard to comprehend not having your voice heard, exspecially when it comes to our children and teenagers. Every child that goes without an advocate loses the opportunity to have someone speak on their behalf. I've taken away many lessons from becoming a child advocate. The most important lesson is that as human beings and citizens we have a responsibility to advocate for our children and teenagers.

It's not any easy responsibility, but the reward of knowing you are helping and giving a voice is a true blessing. I would encourage anyone interested to contact a child advocate agency in Indianapolis. I volunteer 6 hours a month, easy right? Each of us can prioritize our time to give a child 6 hours a month. It's been such a blessing being able to give my time. I hope that by writing this blog you become curious about child advocacy.

"There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children." Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment