Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

It’s my last week. I started in January as a student, but am leaving as a professional. Why? Not because I’m finished with school--Although, how awesome is it that I never have to go to school again? I’ll tell you. Very awesome. So awesome that I’m doing this--but because people believed in me. I was always given credit for my accomplishments, whether it was an e-mail saying "Great job" or acknowledgement in front of a coalition of the work I had contributed. I think when other people trust us, it is easier to trust ourselves.

I've had some proud moments. Giving testimony in front of the Senate Education Committee, being told by a seasoned lobbyist that my talking points for a bill were really good, becoming a Stewards of Children facilitator, winning a grant to pay for my training, and having an educated, grown-up conversation with a member of Representative Carson's office about legislation. (I didn't say "grown-up" during the conversation. I was actually quite articulate.)

After all that, I feel ready to change the world. And in those moments when I doubt myself, I am reminded that real life issues were put into my hands, and I didn't drop them. As I finish my time here and prepare to move to Hawaii--yes, Hawaii--I am reminded of this poem I received in one of my high school graduation cards. Maybe my fear isn't that I'm not ready for the real world. Maybe my fear is that the real world isn't ready for me.

Our Greatest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson

Mahalo MCCOY and aloha to the rest of my life!

These are the people who helped me become a rock star youth advocate. And that's me, giving the moose ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment