Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Join the Table: Improving our Youth



Written by:  Kenneth Lacy Jr, MCCOY Board Member 
Greetings all!  As an emphatic advocate for education, I find it important for us adults to support our children and their school systems.  Your contribution can be big or small, but the most important concept is to get involved.  Have your VOICE heard.  One way to be heard is to participate at www.whatspossibleindy.com.  Vocalize your sentiments about the necessities and desires that you would wish to see within our children’s’ schools.  Making your opinion known can make a difference. 

Another approach is to VOLUNTEER, in which I am very passionate.  I feel that volunteering is the best way to give back to your community.  There are many ways that you can serve your time toward school education.  I chose to volunteer as a team mentor with the 100 Black Men of Indianapolis, Inc.  I and a few other good men shared our time and experiences with 5th and 6th grade boys at IPS school 51.  It was one of the most rewarding experiences that I encountered as a volunteer.  The students showed dedication and aspirations of achieving at a higher level after each session that we all had.  It is interesting to see how the young boys thought processes evolved and how they handle issues with their peers from the information that we taught them during our after-school sessions.  I can truly say that I learned just as much from them as they learned from me. 

                So how will you serve our youth today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment