Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Secrets of Parenthood Revealed



Written by: Stephanie Freeman, Communications Director; MCCOY, Inc.

As a new mother, I am constantly in awe of how my parents raised me. I look up to my mom and dad, and want to provide a happy, healthy, nurturing home environment for my son, just like they did for my brother and I. My always showed us love and respect, knew how to motivate us without pushing us, they always knew what we needed, and did it all without complaining. Parenthood is hard. I know this now and I realize no parent is perfect.  The question I constantly ask myself is  how can I be the best parent that I can be? What are the secrets of great parents?
 
I’ve read lots of articles, blogs and books about parenting, as well as listened to lots of advice from individuals on what to do and what not to do. Some of the most helpful hints that I found are:
 
·         Express your love and affection: tell children you love them, hug them and show them that your love is unconditional – not matter what
·         Praise your child: avoid comparing children to others; celebrate their differences and uniqueness
·         Avoid criticism: be assertive, yet kind, focus on the behavior not the child
·         Be a role model: treat children as you want to be treat; show them you listen to them, be kind to them, set a good example
·         Help your children feel safe: respect their privacy, install a sense of belonging, discuss differences peacefully
·         Provide order: set boundaries, encourage responsibilities, teach what is right and wrong, allow children to experience life for themselves
·         Spend quality time with your children: give them your undivided attention, send time individually with each child, do what interests your child, use each moment as a teachable moment
·         Eliminate bad habits: give up vices or behaviors that you would not want your children to emulate
 
After reading these tips, I feel assured that I can be a great parent. It is and will be hard work, but I know it will be the most rewarding and important work I ever do.
 
I’d like to take this moment to send a belated Happy Mother’s Day and upcoming Happy Father’s Day message to all the parents and guardians out there. Your work does not go unnoticed and is not without effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment