Thursday, June 13, 2013

Farewell MCCOY!

By Danielle Guerin and Anne West

Anne and Danielle at the Statehouse with Youth Advocacy Council Members

        
Hey everyone this is Danielle, one of MCCOY’s AmeriCorps VISTAs. I just wanted to drop in and say goodbye. It has been a crazy year with amazing experiences! When I started at MCCOY last year, I did not expect to do all the things I have done. I’ve gained so much knowledge from working on the Co-location of Services Project to planning a youth conference! I’m so glad that I was able to spend this year of my life working with an amazing organization and doing such awesome work.

Once I leave MCCOY, I will spend the summer as a Summer VISTA at a day camp. After that, I will be heading south to Bloomington to start my Masters Degree in Public Affairs at Indiana University’s School of Public Affairs. I’m already getting more opportunities for amazing experiences with IU, I will be leaving for the Peace Corps in the Summer of 2014.

Hello all, this is Anne, the other Americorps VISTA at MCCOY. I’m leaving my year at MCCOY grateful for the opportunities to work with an incredible staff and learn from some incredible youth workers and students. Working with the Youth Advocacy Council made me a strong believer in the potential of our youth and  helped me grow as a facilitator and mentor. I loved working on research projects at MCCOY like the Blueprint for Action and the What’s Possible focus groups with youth.

My time at MCCOY was a fundamental part of my decision to pursue a Masters of Social Work after my VISTA year. I will start my program at the School of Social Services Administration at the University of Chicago this fall. I hope to go on to concentrate in the positive development of youth through research, organizing, and advocacy.

Thank you to all the MCCOY staff, board members, community volunteers, youth workers and youth who made our time at MCCOY so meaningful!



No comments:

Post a Comment