Monday, July 8, 2013

What to do? What to do?

Written by: Ceceily Brickley (Americorps VISTA)
     Well it's summer (at least as far as the calendar is concerned)and as a newbie to Indianapolis, I know I am looking forward to exploring the city. During the summer when our youth are out of school and free to roam it's important to engage them in not only opportunities that will continue to enrich them educationally, but also provide them with opportunities to have some FUN! Often times we are so bogged down with "real life" matters from work, family, and finances we neglect the simple pleasantries in life. Looking back on my youth, I realize I lacked so much in cultural capital not because opportunities did not exist but because they seemed so much further out of my reach than they actually were! It is important we engage our youth in both educationally and culturally enriching experiences over the summer. In reading up on free things to do in Indy I came across two great websites I wanted to share;  http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-events-free-events and http://www.travelingmom.com/12-free-things-to-do-in-indianapolis/.

     It is our responsibility to ensure our youth have opportunities to experience new things and grow over the summer as well as during the school year. It's not always a matter of money or availability but more so being made aware of said opportunities and taking the initiative in being a part of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment