Friday, August 12, 2011

The internship of a lifetime

The internship of a lifetime. It may sound extremely cheesy but that is exactly what MCCOY has given me. The summer of 2011 is definitely one of the best summers in my life so far which I am forever grateful for!

The reasons I choose to apply for this position are first, as an upcoming senior from Xavier University, I would like to know more about the non-profit industry and popular topics in this field by doing research and experiencing the work; second, even though I have been an intern for another non-profit, this position provides me the opportunity to truly experience what public relations work was like, including the world of social media. Now, at the very end of my summer internship, I have to say I am glad that I made a sound decision to work here which is an amazing life changing experience.

For me, a job cannot be a good one without delightful work environment, and MCCOY which is located near downtown Indy is a quiet, convenient and comfortable place to work in. I always enjoyed the regular meetings for all the stuff and interns. People share the exciting things happening in life and progress on their work. I believe this kind of communication is crucial to improve the interdepartmental cooperation as well as team building. I spent most of my free time getting to know my AWESOME mentor, Stephanie Freeman (who is amazing)! In these experiences I met some lifelong friends and mentors.

In all, I had a great experience working in Marion County Commission on Youth. I appreciate all the help and instructions which definitely have a positive influence on setting my career goal and obtain skills for working in non-profit organizations. I hope more people can know the excellent work of MCCOY on serving our youth and support this outstanding organization!

Blessings,

Shawna Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment