Monday, February 11, 2013

Get Excited!


By Danielle Guerin

Last Monday, our Youth Advocacy Council attended the Children…Our Best Investment Statehouse Conference. The youth spent the day touring the statehouse and talking to representatives about the issues they deemed to be important.  They were able to sit in the gallery and watch the House and Senate in session, as well. As this was my first time chaperoning anything, it was really cool to see the excitement and wonder on their faces as they went through the day.

It made me think of the last time I felt that way. The last time I felt pure joy from the activities of my day. And I couldn't remember other then when I was a child. Sure there are times where I am enjoying my time, whether it be volunteering at the Indianapolis Animal Care and Control or leading a program for Girls,Inc but I don’t remember ever being that excited. I began to wonder if I would ever feel that sense of excitement as I once did, as a child, but I hoped so.

So I decided to challenge myself, to find the little bits of happiness in everything that I do from now on. It’ll be hard, because no one enjoys waking up at 5:45 am to go to the gym but it will be worth it. I also challenge you all to find joy in everything you do and experience for the next month. It will enrich your life in so many ways.

I’m so glad I was able to witness the expressions of the YAC members because it reminded me why we do what we do. Giving youth the opportunity to experience things they might not ever experience. It was great to be reminded of that after a long day at the conference. Now, I look at this picture and I strive to create these types of opportunities for more youth.


A few days after the conference, a video went viral of a little girl getting excited about trains and it made me smile. So, how about we all take a lesson from Madeleine and get excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment