Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Show your appreciation to the troops


Show your appreciation to the troops
Written by: Mandi Wainscott

As a Marine Wife, the recent death of the 7 seven Marines from Camp Lejeune has left an achingly big hole in my heart. All of the Marines that were killed were in their 20s, but one and he was only 19. Their lives were all cut too short. These Marines have family and friends that are now forced to grieve the loss of their loved one. I cannot even imagine the pain that they are feeling right now.

Being a Marine wife has taught me to be strong, independent, and patient. It did not come easy to me.  I got married at 20 years old, moved across the country to California, had my husband deploy for the second time, and was left living alone across the country from my family and friends in just a few short months. It was definitely an adjustment.
I am so thankful that after three tours in Afghanistan and many field trainings that my husband is still here with me. Although, I still worry every time he leaves.  I am so proud of my husband and everything he does. No matter how difficult the months apart are and how very little the communication between us is I would not change a thing. Experiencing a homecoming after not seeing them for so long is the best feeling in the world. It is definitely indescribable.


Many people do not realize the sacrifices that the men and women in uniform experience and others do not even take the time to even think about it. These men and women sacrifice their lives for you and this country and it is important to show them your appreciation.  There are many different ways that you can show your appreciation to the military. You can adopt a soldier at www.adoptaussoldier.org. Adopting a soldier gives you the opportunity to send thank you letters and care packages to the soldiers deployed overseas. You can also volunteer or donate at a local military organization. You can even just extend your hand and say thanks. Simply acknowledging their service and thanking them personally means a great deal to them.  It is important to stand by and support the troops because they sacrifice so much for all of us. What are other ways that you can think of to show your support?

No comments:

Post a Comment