Monday, April 16, 2012

Adoption

I think adoption is a beautiful thing for the child and new parents. I know different families that have adopted children and there are different reasons but the one reason in common is the love for children. The desire to have a child is strong for some people but the ability to have a biological child is not always a reality. I am an adopted child and am lucky to have received two wonderful parents. One reason I believe my parents are so wonderful is because they have always been open about my adoption. I cannot remember a time not knowing I was adopted and my parents easily could have gotten away with not telling me because I visually fit into my father's side of the family. I really appreciate their openness and honesty regarding my adoption and it has always made me feel special to be their child.

I have been apart of several adoptions due to my career. A question I always face from the adoptive parents is how and when they should share the adoption process with their child. I believe that the best practice is to be open about the adoption at an age appropriate level. I was adopted at birth and it was a private adoption so my parents do not have any information regarding my biological parents. For parents that have adopted children and know more information as to why the child was given up for adoption and information regarding biological parents it is important to know you child and share that information when you believe they are ready because they will ask questions. Sharing your child's life story is best done the earlier the better because it is a beautiful thing and a gift for both the parents and child. The openness and honesty are very important because if the child does not feel like you are telling the whole story they will go looking for answers. I have always gone back and forth about wanting to meet my biological parents, if I was ever able to get their names, but I do not feel like they could offer any needed information to make me feel any differently about my situation. I am thankful that my biological mother was so willing to give the gift of a child to a so deserving couple.

The website healthychildren.org can help answer some questions about adoption.

~Kate P.

No comments:

Post a Comment