Monday, April 16, 2012

Exploring options

As a bachelors level social work student I find myself constantly trying to determine which population I would like to work with after I graduate. I then find myself questioning ways to enhance that populations lifestyle. So far I have experienced work with individuals with developmental disabilities, children, addictions, and domestic courts. Although these are only a few, one would think.. what about the elderly?? I recently job shadowed a case manager in a smaller hospital to expand my knowledge on assisting the elderly population. It's amazing how much the elderly population need assistance from a case manager. Many elderly individuals are eligible for medicaid and medicare, which turns out is the case managers duty to determine whether or not they have the assistance. I know I said I would focus on the elderly population, but I was amazed at the case management work at this hospital. This specific kind of case management works on every floor in the hospital. (medSurg, psychiatric and mental illness, ER, ICU etc.) while combining medical terminology and communicating between their providers/ home health care. I learned a lot from the 8 hours I spent at the hospital with the case manager. The purpose of this post is to let it be known, that it is okay to explore options. If you are unfamiliar with a population, place, line of work, etc. then explore it. I am now working towards doing my practicum in the fall at this location. Curiosity can lead to great things! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment