Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Kim Rompala - April Everyday Champion

Congratulations to Kim Rompala from Password Mentoring: MCCOY's Everyday Champion for the month of April!





What is your profession or vocation?
I am currently serving as the Senior Clinical Manager at PassWord Community Mentoring. I moved to Indianapolis from Chicago in 2005 after receiving my M.A. in Clinical Psychology and began working at PassWord, where I served as school-based Mentor. During my time at PassWord I have served in several roles providing supervision and clinical support for school-based and community-based services with youth. 


How are you an Everyday Champion for Youth?
Every day I support the mission of transforming communities by empowering kids in crisis to access their potential, one step at a time. I provide clinical supervision, training, and support to PassWord staff who are on the front line serving youth with significant social-emotional, behavioral, and academic challenges. I also consult with school staff, parents, and other youth providers to ensure that every youth has their individualized needs met. In addition I work with families to help them learn parenting strategies, develop behavior plans, and advocate for their children’s needs. During the summer months I serve as one of the program managers, developing and leading the PassWord Summer Academy. The PassWord Summer Academy serves youth who are typically not successful in summer camps and other community-based activities. 

What impact do you hope to make on youth?
My hope is that all youth learn that they can be successful. By helping youth develop their strengths and gain confidence in their abilities I hope to set them on the path for success.  I hope every youth I work with gains the skills they need to succeed at school, at home, and in their community. I treat every contact I have with a youth, a parent, or a teacher as if it might be my last chance to make a difference in their life. By being intentional in what I do I hope to never waste an opportunity.  

What’s one thing that you wish an adult had told you when you were a young person?
I was frequently told that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to, but I wish people had let me know that I was capable of much more than I could ever think possible. Too often young people do not set goals or set their goals too low. It is our responsibility as adults to help youth dream big and learn about the world outside of their neighborhood. 

What do you want to do next to support youth?
This summer I will again support the PassWord Summer Academy. We provide a safe, structured setting for youth to grow and develop.  Our goal this summer is to expose youth to new experiences to help them learn about the city they live in. In addition I will continue to serve as an advocate for youth by working with families, school staff, and other providers to meet the needs of youth. 

Do you work directly with youth?
Yes, especially during the summer when I am onsite at the Summer Academy. I also work with families, school staff, and providers throughout the year to support youth.
What percentage of your time is spent working directly the youth or families?
40%-50%

No comments:

Post a Comment