Monday, April 22, 2013

Got Service Learning


By: LaQuisha Glasco


Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away. – Unknown
  
What Happens When…?
A Social Work professor assigns an assignment that requires a social work student to work with a client that they may or may not know?
   
You get a MAPS GOAL DEVELOPMENT ASSIGNMENT!

Meet My Client  Chasity
Chasity Armstrong is a freshman at IUPUI. She is majoring in Psychology and wants to work for the Police Department and the Firefighter Department.
  
Dr. Gentle – Genitty gave me an assignment that I would never forget. The assignment was called, “MAPS GOAL DEVELOPMENT.” I had to find someone to be a client for me and demonstrate my social work skills. Now, this may seem easy but it was not. I was actually helping someone with a real life issue and it finally hit me that I was going to be a factor for the choices she had to make.
This opportunity made me a better Social Worker. It confirmed my love for Social Work and my care for the people in the world. This service learning project helped me to imagine myself being into the field and made me more confident in skills that I once struggled to perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment