Monday, April 22, 2013

Marion County Youth Know how to OWN THEIRS!



Friday, April 12th was the submission deadline for the Own Your Future Media Arts Contest. Over 50 middle and high school students submitted writing, prezi presentation, and infographic entries explaining what it means to “Own Your Future.” We received some fantastic and inspiring responses that will continue to motivate school and community efforts to increase graduation rates and encourage student success. Below are some excerpts:

“I do have the support from my family to stay on the right path and strive for success. Their motivation is pretty much all I need. I feel like with the right mindset I can be whatever I want to be in life, and so can you. No one can tell you that you can’t.” – Excerpt from My Future by: Tyler Alums, Arsenal Tech High School

“You don’t get rhymes like me sleeping in class
So get your notebooks and pencils out of your bags
Take notes, pay attention, this is gonna be fast
We’re changing futures
Hope it suits ya
Let’s forget the past”
-          Excerpt from Own Your Future (Rap) by: Sydney-Symone Tate, Decatur Central High School

“Success is not defined by the money you make but by the happiness you create. So the new equation looks like this: Success in school can bring success in life and success in life is defined by your joy…and with success and happiness I have owned my future.” – Excerpt from The Teenager by: Kristen Holston, North Central High School

“I currently am a youth entrepreneur and work with girls in grades 5th – 9th grade building self-esteem from the inside out through pageantry. I plan to continue to strive for excellence in every subject so that I can continue to help others grow.” – Excerpt from The Key to Life by: Kayanna Lovett, Fall Creek


We hope you will join our celebration of these students and their messages of empowerment at Crispus Attucks High School on April 27th. The Media Arts Contest Award Ceremony follows directly after the Focus2020 Youth Chautauqua. Registration is still open—we’ll see you there!

  


Contributor: Anne West

No comments:

Post a Comment